Tuesday 30 March 2010

Getting it a Liddle wrong

I see that the Press Complaints Commission has upheld a complaint about one of Rod Liddle's blog posts. In the offending piece Mr Liddle claimed that the "the overwhelming majority of street crime, knife crime, gun crime, robbery and crimes of sexual violence in London is carried out by young men from the African-Caribbean community". What utter tosh. It was a claim questioned by many and roundly demolished by that wonderful Radio 4 programme on statistics, More or Less (yes I love it, I make no bones about it I am a Radio 4 junkie). I am pleased to see that the PCC has made what in my view is the right judgment. It was interesting that in seeking to defend the publication, the Spectator argued that it is in the very nature of blogs that they should be provocative. Now, I fully expect to be offended by Liddle, he has offended me on a regular basis but I do object to him parading his opinion a fact - an opinion I am pleased to say the PCC shares with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment