Friday 8 May 2009

Its all in the presentation


Far be it of me to add my voice to the chorus criticising the politics of Gordon Brown but can I just say that he is in desperate need of a proper communications advice. As he walked into No 10 Gordon effectively denounced the previous occupant (and my old boss) for his focus on presentation and declared the days of spin were over (a piece of spin if ever I saw one). He was wrong. Wrong to criticise Blair for understanding the power of the media and the importance of trying to use the media to get your message over effectively. Wrong to pretend he wasn't going to try to do the same. Alas over the last few weeks we have seen how badly he and his inner circle are doing on the presentation front. YouTube in itself is not a bad idea, but not necessarily as a channel to raise the issue of MPs expenses and why didn't anyone look at the tape before it was uploaded? I have nothing to add on the Swastika debacle other than to say I don't recall seeing any photos of a smiling TB with Nazi symbols coming out of the side of his head. As for the lovely Ms Lumley - why on earth was no one else in the room when they met? And why didn't they agree what line she could take when she stood in front of the cameras? Madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment