Wednesday 9 January 2013

We'll always have Paris

I am in Casablanca. As previously reported I had no plans to be here today but circumstances are such that I find myself in the Royal Air Maroc lounge waiting for a flight to Liberia which has been delayed so I am unlikely to make it to Monrovia before 0600.

When I decided that visiting the letters of the alphabet would be one of my resolutions for 2013, my rules for myself were that it had to be a proper visit, I couldn't claim any places I was just passing through - so Crewe wouldn't count if I was just changing trains there. I still think it is a good rule but I think I can make the case for Casablanca. I will be here for at least 5 hours, will eat a meal, drink a Coke and might even have a shower (believe me I would like to have a shower, the only doubt I have stems from the fact there seems to be little evidence of the required facilities). I think that constituents a visit. And people, we are already half way through January and I haven't bagged any places yet, so for the time being at least Casablanca is on the list.

If the airport is anything to go by it may not be a place to which I will want to return. I know this is a very poor criterion, on this basis one could hardly recommend London - yes Heathrow is getting better but Luton? The lounge I am in is over-lit, playing rather exhuberant marching music and has very uncomfortable chairs. Rick and Ilsa would not recognise it and I am sure Captain Renault would have something to say about the state of the loos.

No comments:

Post a Comment